NYU Alumni Day 2013
We'd like to thank everyone who came back to the Square for Alumni Day 2013 and helped make it a fantastic success! Stay tuned as we post photos and videos from the day. We hope to see you again next year on Saturday, October 18, 2014!
State of the University with John Sexton: Momentum
Alumni Day 2013 Photos
All photos © NYU Photo Bureau: Asselin or © NYU Photo Bureau: Slezak
Alumni Day 2013 Programming Schedule
Alumni Day 2013 featured exciting programming and activities including a Robotics Demonstration, the UVL Alumni Edition talent show, the Alumni Alley street-fair and much more. For a complete overview, please see below:
Saturday, October 19, 2013
Alumni Day Check-In
- (9:00–11:00AM) Continental breakfast in the Jeffrey S. Gould Welcome Center
A Violet-themed continental breakfast in the Jeffrey S. Gould Welcome Center, sponsored by Liberty Mutual.
- (9:00AM–5:00PM) Pick up your personal itinerary and name tag in the Jeffrey S. Gould Welcome Center for access to campus buildings.
- (8:30–10:00AM) Perstare Society Induction Breakfast* (For 1963 grads or earlier)
- (10:30–11:30AM) Morning Sessions
- Admission at NYU: An Information Session (Session 1)
Welcome prospective NYU students and families! Learn about NYU's admission process, meet current students, and hear from young alumni about what they are doing with their degrees in this morning session.
- Alumni Day Founders’ Forum: Start-up Battlefield
Help select NYU’s next great entrepreneur on Alumni Day, when NYU alumni entrepreneurs will present a 3 minute pitch of their startup before a panel of alumni investor judges and a live audience.
- A Conversation with Wagner Dean Sherry Glied
Please join NYU Wagner as we invite you to meet Dean Sherry Glied! Modeled after the "Inside the Actors Studio" format, alumni will have an opportunity to get to know Dean Glied on Alumni Day. A champagne brunch will follow.
- NYU Poly Robotics Session 1: The Bio-Mechatronics of a Robotic Fish’s Anatomy
“Drive” a robotic fish with your iPhone at NYU Alumni Day.
- NYU Poly Robotics Session 2: Workshop and Demonstration
Learn the nuts, volts, and bits of robots and teach them to follow a line, a wall, a flashlight, a moving object, and more on NYU Alumni Day!
- Hooked Up: A New Generation’s Surprising Take on Sex, Politics and Saving the World
- Disruptive Thinking: Fostering a Culture of Innovation Leadership
Luke Williams, Executive Director of the Berkley Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, will have you asking, “Why hadn’t we ever thought about our business and culture this way before?”, in this session about disruptive strategies and unexpected solutions for marketing.
- Palliative Care: Humanistic Care for Mind, Body and Spirit
What is palliative care and why is it something everyone needs to know about? Join Dr. Susan Gerbino, Silver School of Social Work Faculty and Silver's Zelda Foster Fellows in Palliative and End of Life Care to answer these questions and more.
- The Life and Times of Cancer: Where Do We Go From Here?
Dr. Hammer will share her thoughts on future directions and invite the audience to participate in a lively dialogue about the possibility of eradicating this disease.
- Toastmasters: Public Speaking Primer
What’s the #1 ranked fear across the world? Public speaking. Erase this fear and learn to leverage the NYU community to unlock your professional and social potential.
- Estate Planning in a New and Challenging Environment
Learn to navigate the uncertainty of tax frameworks and financial markets to maximize value for your loved ones and the charities important to you.
- Secrets of the Trade: Travel Tips for Women
Learn how to avoid common mistakes while travelling. Join Phyllis Stoller (GSAS '70), tour operator for women's cultural and adventure tours, for an interactive discussion about travel.
- NYU Veterans' Reception and Terrace Dedication
- A Social Web Primer: Blogging, Tagging, Tweeting, and More
Learn everything you need to know about the internet's latest networking tools.
- Multicultural Alumni Group: Champagne Brunch ($15)
Share a toast, a meal and a common interest with old and new friends at this festive NYU Alumni Day event. Cheers!
*The Perstare Breakfast is only available to alumni who graduated in 1963 or earlier.
- CAS Dean's Luncheon
- Gallatin Dean's Luncheon
- GSAS Dean's Luncheon
- Nursing Luncheon and Rising Star Award
- Poly President's Luncheon
- School of Continuing and Professional Studies Luncheon and Alumni Awards Presentation
- Silver School of Social Work Dean’s Luncheon and 2013 Alumni Awards
- Steinhardt Dean's Luncheon
- Stern Luncheon
Afternoon & Evening Programs
- (12:00-1:00PM) Admissions Alumni Reception*
(For NYU Torchbearers and Admissions Ambassadors alumni.) Admissions Ambassador Alumni and Torchbearers are invited to a reception following the 10:30AM Undergraduate Admissions session at the NYU Torch Club. Snacks and refreshments will be provided.
- (1:00–2:00PM) Creating Income Security in a World Without Job Security
The world’s new economy calls for a whole new way of thinking. Join this session to learn tips on generating work and income without needing to wait for the elusive traditional job offer.
- (1:00-2:30PM) Admission at NYU: An Information Session (Session 2)
Welcome prospective NYU students and families! Learn about NYU's admission process, meet current students, and hear from young alumni about what they are doing with their degrees in this afternoon session.
- (2:30–3:30PM) State of the University with John Sexton: Momentum
Be the first to hear from President Sexton about his exciting plans to unlock potential for future NYU students.
- (3:00-5:00PM) Recent Alumni Network (RAN) Snack Break**
(For recent alumni of 2004 or later.) Did you graduate between 2004 and 2013? If so, be sure to join your fellow alumni for light appetizers and networking at Murphy & Gonzalez!
- (4:00–5:00PM) Afternoon Sessions
- The Talking Dead
Feel like zombies and vampires are popping up everywhere these days? That’s because they are. The Walking Dead's Glen Mazzara moderates a panel discussion on why we are obsessed with the undead and whether our obsessions evolve based on society's current issues. We promise our panelists won’t bite.
- Needs of Minority Youth and Teens
- Screening and Discussion: Christy Turlington-Burns’ “No Woman, No Cry”
Christy Turlington-Burns is more than a Fashion Icon. As a director and humanitarian, she tells the powerful stories of at-risk pregnant women through the documentary film, “No Woman, No Cry.” Register for Alumni Day for a screening and discussion with co-producer Clancy McCarty (GAL ’08).
- International Taste of the Grape: Wine Tastings of Australia, Spain, Italy and the US
Taste the wines of the world, all at NYU Alumni Day! Network with your fellow alumni while enjoying a fantastic selection of international and US wines.
- Educating the Healthcare Team: An Innovation for Better, Safer Healthcare
About 80% of all reported medical errors that lead to harm or death in the United States involve miscommunication among healthcare team members. Help reduce this statistic by learning about NYU3T: Teaching, Technology, Teamwork—a technology-driven educational program.
- The God Particle
- Kimmel Galleries: ArtCart
Join NYC artists from CHERISHING THE LEGACY, an exhibition of artists who have spent the last year documenting their legacies. Hear how photographer Niki Berg, painter Cecily Barth Firestein, conceptual artist Morgan O’Hara and sculptor Gilda Pervin are surviving and thriving in the creative world.
- LGBTQ Alumni Network: Open House and Reception
Join your fellow alumni for an afternoon of hors d'oeuvres, networking, and revisiting the memories of being an LGBTQ student during your time at NYU. Also learn how to get involved!
- Flipping Through History: The Washington Square News Alumni Event
Share your memories of WSN and learn how you can help be a part of its future, all with your fellow writers, editors, designers and salesmen.
- (5:30–6:30PM) UltraViolet Live: Alumni Edition
There is no shortage of talent in the NYU community. This year, alumni are invited to audition for and attend the premiere alumni edition of UltraViolet Live, one of the University’s most beloved traditions.
- (6:30–8:00PM) Alumni Day Closing Reception ($20)
Take this final opportunity of the day to show off your NYU pride while mingling with your fellow alumni and snacking on Violet-themed refreshments.
*The Admissions Alumni Reception is only available to NYU Torchbearers and Admissions Ambassador alumni.
**The RAN Snack Break is only available to alumni who graduated in 2004 or later.